December 23, 2005

Squeeze this...

by Chris Randall
 

You know, when it comes to guitar effects, compressor pedals are one of those things that you don't really feel you need, but once you get one, you wonder how the fuck you ever got along with out it. I spent a couple hours today making an Orange Squeezer (courtesy of a schematic off the excellent General Guitar Gadgets page.) What a fantastic compressor this is. Sustain for days, and no low-end attenuation at all that I can hear. That Dan Armstrong cat knew a thing or two about a thing or two. There are about 40 different Orange Squeezer clones available; I don't know how close any of them sound to the one I made, or how close mine is to the "real thing," never having come in contact with one before, but damn...


I haven't put it in a Hammond box yet; as soon as I do, I'll drop a photo and maybe a couple samples, wherein you can be incredibly impressed with my stellar guitar playing once again.

 
 
 

5 comments:

 
 

 
Dec.24.2005 @ 1:56 PM
exogenous
Cool - what did you use for the opamp and transistors?
 
 

 
Dec.24.2005 @ 2:31 PM
Chris Randall
For the op-amp, I just went with the JRC4558, as per the original. Small Bear has 'em for a couple bucks. For the trannies, I tried maybe 15 different pairs (I have a _lot_ of different vintage transistors, as a result of my thrift-store find a month or so ago, if you recall...) but actually ended up going with the 2N5457, as per the original. Almost every other pair I tried introduced too much distortion, and didn't really compress that much. The 2N5457 worked as I was given to understand it should work.

So, despite experimentation, I pretty much stuck with bone stock on this one, as it sounded the best that way. I did swap out the volume trimmer for a volume knob. In retrospect, I should have made the other trimmer a knob, as well. If you make one of these, I suggest replacing both trimmers with knobs. R7 (which is like a combination of ratio and makeup gain) should be a 10K linear, and R13 should be 10K log.

I built it on veroboard, but it's just this side of too complicated to do that. I'd recommend making a PCB or buying one from the above site. I was thinking that it would take about 15 minutes to build if I had the PCB, but doing it point-to-point took a couple hours, and there's a high potentiality for fuck-ups.

The "volume" knob is interesting, because the pedal can actually put out quite a bit of gain, so it can work like a booster, too, although it's full spectrum, not a treble boost like a Rangemaster or something. I'm getting some really good tones by hammering the input of my AC-15 with this thing.

-CR

 
 

 
Dec.26.2005 @ 10:44 PM
Aahzekiel
I love my Dynacomp. Using it now on bass. Like it much better than the Behringer compressor I had in the fx loop on the amp, but that may simply be because the Behringer has so very many more knobs than the Dynacomp. I managed to get the two on the D set just right, right away, and still haven't gotten what I wanted out of the B. My fault, sure... but hey look! One more free rack space! And a pretty red pedal on the floor.

-Aahzekiel

 
 

 
Jan.04.2006 @ 10:42 PM
exogenous
Sweet, thanks for the info
 
 

 
May.17.2007 @ 2:54 PM
bubbaberg
I've made quite a few of these pedals and the mods I've done are
1. opamp change 4558 to opa2134
(big difference in signal to noise and basic sweetness)
2. C7 change from 4.7uf elco to 1uf film.
3. R9 change from 220K to 200K ( less distortion when pushed)
4. C1 change from 0.047uf to 0.022uf (fuller Freq. range)

all resistors and caps are mil.spec.
I love this pedal and use it in the studio alot as well as gigs

 
 

Comment:

 

Sorry, commenting is closed for this blog entry.